Thursday, July 23, 2015

Beautiful Bruges

Bruges may be the most picturesque place I have ever been. It feels like we have stepped inside a fairy tale with its cobblestone streets, horse-drawn carriages and quaint old buildings. Instead of me trying to describe it (truly, words could not do it justice) I will just show you what I am talking about.

First, we went to a Benguin Convent that was founded in 1245 CE. 
Benguin Convent, Bruges, Belgium
Benguin Convent, Bruges, Belgium
Inside the church at the Benguin Convent, Bruges, Belgium

Inside the church at the Benguin Convent, Bruges, Belgium
 They dedicated their lives to taking care of those in need, and there is still a part of the convent that operates in its original capacity, as evidenced by the nun assisting someone inside.
A Benguin Nun helping a woman



 Right outside the convent was a restaurant with a nun looking out the window...


 As we rounded the corner, this is what we saw:


 There were horse drawn carriages and a lake full of ducks and swans:


 We took a break for lunch where many of us sampled the local specialty - mussels steamed in white wine and pommes frites (french fries).

 After lunch, we walked around Bruges some more:




We also spent time in the Gross Markt and took some group photos
Back Row: Bill, Rob & Ray
Front Row: Me & our amazing courier Myriam



I had a special treat today when at dinner, my friend Lisa (who is Belgian and lives in Brussels) joined us for dinner. She was super impressed with the students and thought she walked into the wrong restaurant because they were so quiet and polite that she couldn't believe they were American high school students! It was a fun evening catching up (despite my lack of a voice...I whispered all evening) and I think Bill, Rob and Ray kept us entertained all evening.
Lisa & Me
Lisa's grandparents live in Bruges and she knows the city well. She showed me this lovely gem called a "God's House." She explained that many centuries ago, when the wealthy wanted to ensure that they would do good deeds required to get to heaven (Bruges is a historically Roman Catholic town), they would establish these homes for the poor and elderly. Between the convent and the God's Houses all over Bruges, it seems they have been taking care of those in need for centuries. I like that.

By the end of the day, I realized that Paris might have some competition...Bruges is quickly becoming a favorite city...
Tomorrow morning - we make chocolate!




1 comment:

  1. Bruges is definitely magical and one of the most photogenic places I've ever visited. It was one of the cities I visited on my honeymoon. And yes, it's as if you've stepped back in time.

    ReplyDelete